Thursday 26 November 2015

Tall Tale - The Birthday Babysitter

Recently i participated in a contest and used this script and won 2nd runner up :D

It was year 1995, that on my birthday my parents made me babysit my 6 months old brother while they went to pick my birthday cake. Being happy, proud and responsible elder sister I entertained him until there was a knock at the door. To my surprise, at door stood my best friend Nigel who flew down all way from Nigeria to attend my birthday party. Ecstatic,euphoric and elated we started chit chatting like good old times almost forgetting everything around us. Almost after an hour, I thought I should introduce her to my little brother but I was dead as a door nail.

I had locked myself outside with no access to the key. Horrified, petrified and terrified I yelled at Nigel for keeping me so occupied. I panicked when i realized that I had left water running in kitchen.. I cried fitfully like a babbling brook thinking of how to face my parents ?


When I had put all my hands down Nigel tried to calm me and suggested that I should peek through the tiny keyhole so that I could keep an eye on the baby and calm myself, but to my dismay there stood a disaster which sent shivers down my spine. I trembled with fear when I saw a monstrous vulture entering through the window just looking for his prey.  My little brother, just sat there clapping and admiring those flapping wings above his head without realizing the dangers ahead. I yelled at the top of the voice through the keyhole and shooed the giant beast away from the crib. Distracted, this bird jumped to grab some boiling milk on the stove and its wings caught fire. Seeing this, my brother jumps across the apartment to the mighty bird's rescue. The vulture, however, misconstrues it as an act of aggression and grabs the baby in its tail. Meanwhile the faucet fills the apartment with water. Baby and bird still ablaze were locked in a death grip, swirling around in the whirlpool that fills the entire apartment. My house was in a mess, my birthday decorations were destroyed and my little baby brother was in grave danger, though he seemed to be enjoying his ride.

 I was dizzy and almost fainted but then pulled up myself and with Nigel’s help gave one hard hit to the door and blew it apart but unfortunately, I was caught in the whirlpool and the vulture overpowered me. I tried hard to rescue myself but became a helpless victim. Suddenly, everything went black and I saw a ray of hope, my brother jumps across like superman and grabs a knife and cuts apart birds wings saving me from the monsters clutches. Bird fell dead on the ground, and everything came to a standstill. He stood there just as a soldier stands after winning a combat with a halo above his head. My little brother, my savior, my hero gave me the best gift ever the gift of life on my birthday.


P.S. I picked up a instance from a television series and built this story around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment